I don't have my son's updated or correct record of...


I don't have my son's updated or correct record of immunization from India, should I get him vaccinated for Hep B again? It is likely that he had Hep B vaccination done but as we changed the family doctor, they never transferred details. He is in Vancouver and Gr.6. since May 2015.


If possible, it's advised that you attempt to obtain your son's immunization records from your previous health care provider.  You can find tips on locating immunization records here.  

A child without a record of immunization, or proof of immunity, is considered unimmunized and unprotected.  In general, it is advised that children without written documentation of immunization get immunized according to the schedule for their current age.  Getting extra doses of vaccine is not harmful and ensures protection. We recommend that you discuss this further with your public health nurse or doctor. 

It's also advised that you take your son's immunization record (even if it is incomplete) to your local public health unit to be checked. Vaccine recommendations and schedules differ between countries.  A public health nurse can review your son's record and recommend and provide any missing vaccines. You can find the contact information for your local public health unit here